Monday, January 6, 2020

Best 2020 - The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers


Best Agricultural Sciences 2020 ✔ The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers. 

👍
👍
👍




Harvey Ussery I have spent four summers with laying hens. I can't bring them to my winter quarters, or believe me, I would!!! It has been challenging getting laying hens each spring, but I've managed, and it has been so worth it. So, I'm not a novice, but no expert. I absolutely LOVE this book. I read books about chickens and gardening all winter, then go at it again with new information in the spring. This book has taught me more than any other, and I just can't wait to get going again. If you are considering chickens, books like this one are absolutely mandatory to read. The thing you won't understand until you actually have them, though, is how much fun they are. I'm talking about smaller flocks where you get to know each chicken. I had nine last summer, and that was the absolute top for me. At that number, you start losing that individual feel for the personality of each chicken. Seven was better. But, you keep thinking if I had more, I'd have more eggs to give away and have more fun. This book will help you enormously whether you want more chickens or just a few. Regardless, you will have the best eggs imaginable! I wish we could raise broilers, but that's not going to happen. No one in my household is eating our chickens, who all get names. I wish I had friends that raised chickens and we could trade. 8-) We give the chickens to someone who cares for them in the winter, and get back the survivors (really cold here). I am sad every day that there aren't chickens in my life. Plus, it makes me feel so good that our chickies have such a good life, the way nature intended. Makes the eggs taste doubly good.




Best Harvey Ussery  If you are a homesteader, this is the only book you need imho. You name it, it covers it. However, won't go into detail about various ailments and diseases, or how to bathe a chicken or how to do shows. It is an excellent book for homesteaders, covering what to look for in breeds, raising chickens, broodies, fences, tractors and how to build, deep littler method, vegetable gardening with chickens, soldier fly growing, worm bins, carcass use for maggots, chicken coop building, nest box trapping, predator proofing, killing and dressing a bird. What to breed in your flock and how.


Harvey Ussery  I love this book. As a new "flockster" (as the author refers to us), I've read several poultry and chicken books and I love this one best by far. . It's intelligently written and organized and the author, leaning on years of experience, offers a natural path to raising chickens efficiently while keeping to the birds' natural instincts and requirements. While I'm not a homesteader, my chickens are more pets than sustenance, this book should be on everyone's bookshelf.Although many of the books cover the same subjects such as the basics of raising chicks, building coops, etc., I've not been disappointed covering the same subject matter with this book as the author's perspectives offer greater insight into the needs of the flock. Had this been the first book I read on the subject, I might have stopped there. This may be the last book on the subject (other than "The Chicken Health Handbook) I'll read.

No comments:

Post a Comment